ULTRASOUND GUIDED Platelet Rich Plasma (prp) INJECTIONS
Ultrasound Guided PRP therapy is available at our clinic centers for sports injuries, arthritic conditions, and tendon problems. All our injections are ultrasound guided to ensure the accuracy of the treatment we offer.
What is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy ?
PRP therapy is relatively a new innovative regenerative therapy. PRP contains natural growth factors and vital proteins that can help heal injured tendons / ligaments and other soft tissue. Also, promotes natural healing in the mild to moderate stages of joint arthritis. Please proceed to FAQ or further details.
Due to PRP’s ability to heal and even regenerate injured or overused tendons, ligaments, and joints, providing some patients with an alternative to surgery. PRP therapy may reduce the required healing time for the injuries; otherwise, athletes/ sports professionals may require a longer period of rest from their sports-related activities.
If you are experiencing painful joints, muscles, tendons or ligaments please get in touch for a diagnostic scan and or treatment
Commonly treated conditions with PRP
- Arthritic joints ( Early or Moderate Stages). Ex: Knee, Hip, Foot & Ankle, shoulder, wrist & hand and elbow joints.
- Repetitive Strain Injuries ( Wrist joint and tendons) : Typist, Builders, Carpenters, Electricians.
- Sports injuries : Ligament sprain. Tendon and Muscle strains.
- Tennis elbow (Outer side of elbow pain)
- Golfers elbow (Inner side of elbow pain)
- Plantar fasciitis ( Heel pain)
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Patellar tendinopathy ( front of the knee pain)
- Runners Knee
- Supraspinatus tendinopathy ( shoulder pain)
- Trochanteric pain ( Hip pain at pocket level)
- endon Problems
- Long head of biceps tendon ( Biceps)
Ultrasound GUIDED PLATELET RICH PLASMA (PRP)injection faqs
Plasma Rich Platelet (PRP) treatment process:
- The clinician draws some blood from the patient vein, who is receiving the PRP injection.
- PRP is separated from whole blood, by using a centrifuge machine. PRP contains up to 3-10 times rich in growth factors, in comparison to the whole blood.
- Finally, PRP’s are injected into the treatment area under ultrasound guidance for treatment accuracy.
Advantages of ‘one-stop clinic’?
- Patient consultation, diagnosis, and PRP treatment can be carried out in the same appointment, all together in a maximum of 2 hours time.
- This is an outpatient procedure. Patient can return home after waiting for 20-30 minutes in the clinic waiting area.
- PRP injection is prepared from the same person’s blood, who is receiving the PRP Injection.
- You do not a GP or specialist referral. Self referral is accepted.
How does PRP work?
Platelets contain growth factors, which are important in the healing process of the soft tissue / joints. PRP contains 3-10 times more concentrated platelets in comparison to the normal whole blood. Hence, PRP injections have the ability to expedite the natural healing process of the injured area.
What are platelets?
A Platelet is a small colourless disc-shaped cell fragment without a nucleus, found in large numbers in blood and involved in clotting.
How do i prepare for PRP treatment appointment?
You can contact us for a free telephone conversation.
- ***** Please, do not take anti-inflammatory medication for 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after the PRP treatment ******
- If you are taking anticoagulant therapy you may have to stop taking 24hrs before the injection.
- Wear comfortable and loose-fitting clothing, as you need to remove clothing and jewelry in the area to be treated.
- Please arrange alternative transport to return home. This is due to your motor insurance will not be valid to drive, also you may be in pain to drive after the PRP injection. Either bring your partner, family member or friend with you or use a taxi or public transport to return home.
- No other preparation is required.
What is the PRP success rate?
PRP therapy’s success rate is considerably variable. This depends on the condition being treated, patient age, and health status. Patient perception also plays an important role. The reported success rates in the literature have been largely anecdotal. PRP success in the treatment of tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) has been reported in up to 80-90% in some studies, Achilles tendonitis 70-80% and golfer’s elbow (medial epicondylitis) 60-70%. Overall, the success rate is 60 – 70%.
What should i expect after having PRP?
You will experience some discomfort and pain during and after the treatment. Try controlling pain by using an Ice pack or paracetamol.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications (Ex: Ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac )
- Prepared to take at least 2 days of relative rest, after the PRP treatment.
- Do not carry out exercises for 2 weeks.
- Please, contact health care professionals if needed any further help.
What are the possible risks/side effects?
Though the whole procedure is carried out with great care and caution, some rare side effects and risks are possible.
- Infection – Very rare.
- Bleeding to the treatment area.
- Temporary flare-up, numbness, pins and needles, and tingling.
- Swelling, bruising, redness to the treatment area.
- No symptomatic relief.
- Flare-up: temporarily increased pain to the treatment area for few days to weeks (Especially tendon treatment flare-up can last up to 2 -3 weeks).
- Tendon, blood vessel, nerve damage – Rare with ultrasound guided injections.
No symptomatic relief.
Can i be allergic to the procedure?
Though it is extremely rare, some patients may experience allergic reactions to their own serum, other substrates of the PRP or local anesthesia is used for numbing.
Who is not suitable for PRP therapy?
If you are diagnosed with the following conditions or treatments, you should notify us.
- Active cancer
- Hemophilic disorders
- Some blood-thinning medications
- Joint replacement/metal to the area of PRP treatment
"I came to see Ram at his clinic regarding an ongoing issue with a tennis ball elbow injury. After carrying out an ultra scan he was able to carry out steroid injection. Very thorough and professional in explaining the root cause of the problem. Was able to give me an injection straight away and provide me with strict guidelines to follow after treatment. First class service and would highly recommend to anyone that requires pain management control."
Tennis Elbow Injury - Robbie Mehan
"Ram came to my home to deliver the treatment which was much appreciated. He was able to see me straight away, no waiting. We were able to look closely at the joint on ultrasound before he injected (hip) and see how it was looking. The injection was relatively pain-free (sharp scratch as it is done under local anaesthetic) and over fairly quickly. I have had an improvement in my mobility in the joint although I am still awaiting the full effect. I hope it will help me until the NHS are able to operate. Ram was very kind, very courteous and has kept in touch to check on my progress. Having sought other quotes for the same procedure he was very reasonable also. I would recommend him to anyone who has had this type of injection recommended to them by their Doctor. Thank you, Ram, it was much appreciated.."
Hip Pain Treatment - Alison Augustus
"Excellent treatment for trochanteric bursa.
Ram explained the procedure for the steroid injection given. He answered all of my mother's questions and provided her with the documentation for aftercare.
The procedure itself was painless and performed to her complete satisfaction. I would have no hesitation in recommending Joint Care Clinics"
Trochanteric Bursa - Lisa Mackie
"Our experience with Ram has been very positive and we would happily recommend his services to anyone. Ram is a very polite and friendly professional who took the time to explain his work before undertaking a guided steroid injection into my Mother’s knee joint. After experiencing months of pain in her knee, Mum had a GP administered steroid injection but derived no benefit. After Ram’s guided steroid injection Mum reports no pain whatsoever and it has improved her mobility considerably. Thanks, Ram"
Knee pain treatment - Julie Melck
"Great Service & highly recommend Joint Care Clinics:
My Mother-In-law has chronic knee & ankle pain. She was on painkillers every day, the pills caused a lot of heartburn & didn't help much with the pain. Ramakrishna Rachaputi suggested & explained in detail about the possible treatments. My Mother-In-law received an ultrasound-guided Injection on her knee & ankle. After that, she started feeling a lot better and no need to take pain killers every day.
All thanks to Joint Care Clinics"
Knee and ankle pain treatment - Vara Prasad Manda
"Having been in severe pain for several months in desperation I rang the Joint Care Clinic. Rami visited me at home the next day and was very thorough with his assessment. I had a ultrasound-guided injection into my hip. 10 days on and the pain has almost gone. I would recommend Rami
to anyone suffering pain in their joints."
Hip pain treatment - michael john cambridge
"Great service. I am a L4 sports massage therapist and corrective exercise specialist - and I am thoroughly impressed with the competency and knowledge of Rama. I would recommend his great service to anyone who suffer from musculoskeletal problems."
James Tang Fitness
"I recently had an Ostenil plus injection from Ram. He was very knowledgeable and put my mind at ease about the injection. He explained the procedure really well. He used an ultrasound to find the area that needed the injection. I would highly recommend him and I will definitely have another ostenil injection. I had an Injection one year earlier and it has really helped and would have no hesitation in having another one."
"Rami, was very clear in describing the procedure of what might or not occur during and afterwards. Rami also helped to make the appointment very relaxed. I personally had a very good experience and wouldn't hesitate to return"
"After experiencing bad arthritic knee pain I made an appointment with Ram for PRP injections, he was amazing, he explained everything clearly to me and reassured me as I am needle phobic, I would not hesitate to recommend this gentleman to anyone. Fantastic man ."
Knee pain treatment - JAN HATT
"I was suffering significant hip pain and the NHS muscular-skeletal unit were unable to diagnose the problem even though I had multiple scans including MRI. They were, therefore, unable to provide any treatment other than physiotherapy which didn't really help. At the first appointment with Ram, he was able via an ultrasound scan to diagnose Bursitis and give me a steroid injection. After a week or two, the pain was just about gone and my quality of life was significantly improved. I would highly recommend Ram."
hIP pain treatment - Jim McAlpine
"I have suffered problems with my left knee for several years now and have seen my local GP, Physio. , etc. and had various x-rays and treatment plans prescribed. Sadly, none of these have really helped and my knee has become progressively worse. Rami was excellent - taking a full background history to the problem followed by an exhaustive Ultrasound examination; fascinating to see ‘inside’ your knee in real-time! It is early days yet (just over one week) but , already I can start to feel an easing of the pain and a gradual ‘freeing-up’ of the joint. Overall I am very happy with the service and look forward to continuing improvement…"
"Exceptional Service & highly recommend Joint Care Clinics:
My mum has chronic knee & ankle pain. She was on painkillers everyday, the pills caused a lot of heartburn & didn't help much with the pain. Ramakrishna Rachaputi suggested & explained in detail about the possible treatments. My mum received an ultrasound guided Injection on her knee & ankle. After that she started feeling a lot better and no need to take pain killers everyday. She did enjoy her holiday in UK.
All thanks to Joint Care Clinics"
We cover a wide area throughout Warwickshire and surrounds, either by home visit or clinics in the following areas: Rugby, Coventry, Warwick, Milton Keynes, Leamington Spa, Stratford, Kenilworth, Whitnash, Atherstone, Bedworth, Leicester and Nuneaton. We also have clinics throughout the West Midlands including Birmingham and Solihull. We also have a clinic in Newcastle covering the North East.
If you do not see your area listed please still get in touch as we may be able to refer you to another practitioner in your area.